This weekend the American Latvian Association (ALA) & American Latvian Youth Association (ALYA) are presenting a virtual Jāņi program, a collection of multimedia resources for enjoyment of the Latvian summer solstice tradition – “Jāņi à la carte”!
Latvians observe the summer solstice every year on June 23 (“Līgo Day”) and 24 (“Jāņi Day”), but typically American Latvians would also be gathering and celebrating on the Saturday nearest to the solstice – this year the astronomical solstice does occur this Saturday. It may not be possible for all of us to celebrate together in-person this year, but we can still spend some time in nature, observing the traditions passed from generation to generation!
Tune in here starting Saturday for links to all-new content:
- Midsummer Greeting from ALYA Board
- Flower Wreath-Making with Džūlija Kiusals
- Midsummer Songs from Malduguns
- Midsummer Greeting from Riga Black Balsam
- “Līgo” Sing-along with Krisīte & Michael
- Midsummer Spotify Playlist by ALYA
- U.S. Premiere of Iļģi Concert “Songs for the Shortest Night”, sponsored by ALA