ALA and CEEC call on U.S. to keep Russian forces out of Belarus
The Central and East European Coalition (CEEC) expresses deep concerns regarding the fraudulent elections in Belarus held on August 9, 2020, as well as the violent crackdown against unarmed and peaceful protesters throughout that country. This is yet another tragic mark in the long record of systematic human rights abuses by the dictatorial regime of Alexander Lukashenka.
By all indications, Lukashenka lost the election and cannot be considered the legitimate President of the Republic of Belarus.The CEEC calls upon all relevant branches of the United States government to:
- Refuse to recognize the results of the fraudulent election of August 9;
- Demand that Belarus hold new, free, and fair elections, with independent, international observers to ensure transparency;
- Sanction all individuals responsible for election fraud and mistreatment of peaceful protesters under the Belarus Democracy Act and the Global Magnitsky Act;
- Demand an investigation into the state-sponsored crackdown and the immediate release of all political prisoners;
- Block any election meddling or use of force by the Russian Federation.
ALA is a member of the CEEC: https://ceecoalition.us/